Apple has made a few changes to the way that an iPhone can be turned off over the course of the many generations of iOS devices, so don’t worry if you’re having trouble. This variability can be understandably bothersome, even if we believe iPhones to be some of the greatest phones available.
You might have recently updated to a newer version of the iPhone, in which case you know how to switch off your old phone but not your new one. Maybe you were an Android user once and you’ve come to your senses, but you don’t know how to turn off your brand-new iOS device.
You don’t have to worry about the cause. All that really matters is the age and model of your iPhone, the location of the lock button, and whether or not it has a home button. In any event, we’re here to show you how to turn off your iPhone quickly and easily.
How to Turn Off iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, or iPhone 14?
An iPhone could be turned off using just the side button until the iPhone X was released. As of the iPhone X, customers no longer have to perform any additional work to shut down their iPhone—just a long press of the side button will bring up Siri, Apple’s voice assistant.
Using Face ID, you can shut off an iPhone as follows:
- Press and hold both the volume buttons and the side button at the same time.
- The screen will now display a “slide to power off” slider.
- The iPhone can be turned off by dragging the slider to the right.
- To restart your iPhone, you must first complete this step. It’s also one of the most popular ways to resolve sporadic issues with your iPhone, such as AirDrop not working or more.
How to Turn Off Your iPhone 6, 7, 8, or iPhone SE?
Prior to Apple introducing Face ID, all iPhone models (iPhone 8 and below, or iPhone SE 2nd and 3rd-Gen) had a side button that served as the power button and a home button with Touch ID located in the bottom center.
However, the following instructions will help you disable the Touch ID on the iPhone SE and other older models:
- Press and hold the side button to bring up the power slider.
- Press and hold the slider to the right to switch off your iPhone.
How to Turn Off iPhone from Settings?
Using the settings app, you may turn off your iPhone at any time, regardless of whether it has a home button or not. We’ve provided examples on how to:
- Navigate to the General section of your iPhone by opening the Settings app.
- Continue to scroll down until you find the Shut Down menu.
- Press the Shut Down button to turn your iPhone off.
- To save your iPhone from further use, drag the power slider to the right.
How to Turn Off iPhone Using Siri?
Apple introduced the capability to turn off an iPhone via Siri, the company’s speech assistant, with the release of iOS 15. You can turn off your iPhone in this manner without touching the screen or pressing any buttons. Using Siri, you can turn off your iPhone as follows:
Speak to Siri and ask her to “Turn off my iPhone” or “Hey Siri, turn off my iPhone.”
Your device will display a confirmation prompt. In this prompt, press the Power Off button or respond with a yes.